Friday 3 February 2012

Week 1 - Still Life


Still Life Drawing of a piece of Drapery, Table & Stool

This is a 40-minute sketch of a chequered piece of cloth draped over a wooden table and stool.  With my chosen vantage point I was able to see the cloth and how it fell in different directions as well as part of the table and stool.

To show that the cloth was not just falling vertical to the fall I picked out the way the chequered stripes fell using charcoal and by smudging in darker areas I was able to pick up upon the shadows and using my putty rubber picking out the highlighted areas. 

For me the main focus was to show the movement within this piece of cloth by focusing on how the chequered pattern changed and dispersed in all different directions. Some of the cloth was folded over one another creating hard shadows which differ from the areas where the cloth fell straight and the natural light from the windows hit it. The chequered pattern changed from horizontal to vertical as well as being in-between. I picked up on this by shading the patterns from the checks different from the ones going up to the checks going across.

If I were to do this drawing again I would have added in more detail to the folds and the creases within the cloth and I would also have added in a background to this drawing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment